Nicholas Condy (1799-1857)
Condy is supposed to have been born at Torpoint, in the then parish of Antony East, Cornwall, but no entry of his baptism is to be found in the register kept at Antony Church. He was gazetted to the 43rd Regiment as an ensign on 9 May 1811, and served in the Peninsula; he became a Lieutenant on 24 February 1818, and was thenceforth on half-pay during the remainder of his life.
From 1818 he devoted his attention to art, and became a professional painter at Plymouth. He chiefly produced small watercolours on tinted paper, about eight inches by five inches, which he sold at prices ranging from fifteen shillings to one guinea each.
Between 1830 and 1845 he exhibited two landscapes at the Royal Academy, four at the British Institution, and one at Suffolk Street Gallery. His best known painting is entitled The Old Hall at Cotehele on a Rent-day. He brought out a work called Cotehele, on the Banks of the Tamar, the ancient seat of the Right Hon. the Earl of Mount-Edgcumbe, by N. Condy, with a descriptive account written by the Rev. F. V. J. Arundell, 17 plates, London, published by the author, at 17 Gate Street, Lincoln's Inn Fields, with text supplied by Francis Vyvyan Jago Arundell.
He died at 10 Mount Pleasant Terrace, Plymouth, aged 64, and was buried in St. Andrew's churchyard.
No items found