Howard Gull Stormont (1844-1923)
He & his future Wife Mary eloped to Rye in the late 1890s and married in St Mary’s Church in1898. Their second home was “Ypres Studio” now part of the Rye Gallery. Howard and Mary became the focus in Rye for visiting artists and they, themselves, exhibited at the Royal Academy and in other London and provincial galleries. Some of their paintings from this period form part of the Permanent Collection. In 1920 they were founder members of the ‘Rye Art Club’ and this club ran for 17 year under the patronage of Henry James, reforming after a break in the 1930s as the ‘Rye Arts Club’. The Rye Society of Artists continues the ethos and tradition today.
No items found