Newhaven, Firth of Forth, Alfred Herbert

 t. 01935 814465  e. swangallery@aol.com

Your WatchlistFacebookTrip Advisor

Frederick Stuart Richardson, RI ROI RSW (1855-1934)

He was born in Clifton, Bristol, the second son of the Rev. John Richardson, Rector of Sandy in Bedfordshire 1858 -1913. He was educated at Repton School and subsequently commenced training as a civil engineer at Crystal Palace in London. In 1877, he inherited a legacy that provided him with an annual income, which allowed him to consider leaving his embryonic career as an engineer and to study art. His family, being very concerned about this step, asked a family friend, the painter Sir Samuel Luke Fildes R.A., to give an opinion of his talents and prospects. Following a positive response, Richardson travelled to Paris to study painting under Carolus Duran. On his return to England, he set up a base at his father`s rectory in Sandy. He used some of the outbuildings as a study, and remained there until his father`s death in 1913. From here he travelled extensively, painting landscapes and coastal scenes in Scotland, Ireland, Italy, Holland, France and Cornwall. Also throughout his working life Richardson made annual visits to Staithes in Yorkshire, where his great-grandfather had been a ship`s chandler. There he became an active member of the Staithes Group, an important artist colony in the north, participating in the exhibitions of the Staithes Art Club, and annual exhibitions of the Yorkshire Union of Artists. At the turn of the century, his elder brother inherited a property at Aislaby and, as local vicar, was able to provide him with accommodation. He met his wife whilst on a painting trip in Cornwall and their honeymoon, in 1912, was spent in Holland. In 1917, he moved with his family to Bristol and 1919 was elected an Artist Member of the Bristol Savages, becoming President in 1923. He exhibited prolifically at all the major venues including Glasgow, Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, the Royal Society of Bristol Artists, the Royal Institute of Painters in Watercolours, the Royal Institute of Oil Painters, the Royal Scottish Society of Painters in Watercolours, the Royal Hibernian Academy, the Royal West of England Academy, and the Royal Academy London. One of his watercolours is in the permanent collections of the Harris Museum and Art Gallery, Preston. He was elected a member of the Royal Scottish Society of Painters in Watercolours in 1893, a member of the Institute of Painters in Watercolour in 1897, a member of the Royal Institute of Oil Painters in 1901, and the Royal West of England Academy in 1920

No items found

Add Artist to Watchlist