Oil on panel. Signed
11" x 8" (28cm x 22cm)
About the Artist
Harry Britton was born in Cambridge, England and moved to Toronto with his parents in 1881. From 1902 to 1908 he studied under Farquar McGillivray Knowles. He returned to England to study at the Heatherley School of Art from 1909-1911. He taught at St. Ives in Cornwall, where he met his future wife Henrietta Hancock, who was also an artist and like him, became very well known. They married and returned to Toronto in 1914, where Harry gave private lessons. The couple returned to England in 1921, where they lived and painted until 1925. They then moved to Nova Scotia from 1926 until 1934.
Harry Britton became a member of the Ontario Society of artists, and in 1934 was elected to the Royal Canadian Academy. He exhibited regularly with both of these institutions. The National Gallery of Canada has five of his paintings.